Become a Faculty of Mathematics student at the University of Waterloo and join the world's largest centre for education in mathematics and computer science!
Use the left navigation menu to learn more about Waterloo Math - student life, programs, careers in mathematics, funding and awards and how to apply.
Double Degree grad Adi Morun talks about his new career and how his studies at Waterloo and WLU prepared him for success:
March Break Open House 2013 - Tuesday, March 12 - 9:30 am to 3:30 pm
Are you an applicant? Do you have an offer of admission? If you answered YES to either of these questions, then March Break Open House is for you. You are invited to join us in the Physical Activities Centre (PAC) for an information-packed day on Tuesday, March 12. Here's a brief overview:
9:00 Arrive on campus, park, go to the PAC
9:30 Refreshments in the PAC, ushers will take you to your seats
10:00 Admissions update from Math and Engineering
11:00 Co-op Tips for Success, Student Panelists present their experiences
11:45 Pizza Lunch
12:15 Mock Math Lecture by Distinguished Teacher: Ian VanderBurgh
1:00 Engineering Academic Session
2:00 Mathematics Academic Session
3:00 Hands-on Euclid Math Contest Workshop
Fall Open House 2012: Learn about Faculty of Mathematics studies from program directors (videos are coming)
If you were unable to attend the 2012 Fall Open House on Saturday November 3, you may want to watch one or more of these videos to learn about the undergraduate programs of study in the Faculty of Mathematics. These presentations were recorded during a previous open house. While you watch the video, you can follow along with the accompanying PDF slides.
1. WELCOME to the Faculty of Mathematics (video 1) - Associate Dean and Director of Admissions, Professor Serge D'Alessio
- The Overview and Admissions 101 (pdf slides) presentation is by Serge D'Alessio - Associate Dean, Admissions and Outreach. Topics include Why Study Math at Waterloo, Programs of Study, Co-op and Regular systems of study, the Math Faculty entry programs - programs that you can apply to through the Ontario Universities Admissions Centre (OUAC), admission requirements, the admissions process, and careers after graduation.
2. MATH PROGRAMS/MAJORS info session (video 2) - Associate Dean and Professor, Serge D'Alessio; Professor Bertrand Guenin; Professor Ruxandra Moreau; Professor Riley Metzger
- Learn about these 13 Math Majors that begin in second year: Actuarial Science, Applied Math, Combinatorics and Optimization, Computational Math, Mathematical Economics, Mathematical Finance, Mathematical Optimization, Mathematical Physics, Mathematical Studies, Pure Math, Statistics, Statistics for Health, Waterloo-Queens Mathematics/ Teaching. Get the accompanying presentation slides (pdf).
3. MATHBUS PROGRAMS info session (video 3) - Director and Professor, Peter Wood; Professor Peter Balka; Professor Brent Matheson; Professor Keith Freeland; Professor Michael Liu
- Learn about these first-year entry programs: Business Administration and Mathematics Double Degree, Math/Chartered Accountancy, Math/Financial Analysis and Risk Management, Mathematical Economics, and Information Technology Management. Get the accompanying MathBus Presentation slides (pdf).
4. COMPUTER SCIENCE PROGRAMS info session (video 4) - Associate Director and Professor, Troy Vasiga
- Learn about these first-year entry programs: Bioinformatics, Business Administration and Computer Science Double Degree, Computer Science, and Software Engineering. Get the accompanying presentation slides (pdf).
Our open house events are festive and often attended by "Pinky" the Math student government mascot. These photos were taken during March Break Open House.